6 Best Task Management Software to Boost Your Productivity in 2024
Updated on 04 Dec 2023 • 6 min read • posted by Yevhen Codes
Are you constantly missing deadlines?
Do you feel like you lack organization and your productivity is impacted?
Then, you might need to use task management software!
Task management apps have gained tremendous traction over the last decade as increasingly fast-paced lifestyles lead us to seek ways to be more efficient and productive while enjoying a better work-life balance.
And that's exactly what task management app can help you with; be more efficient, more productive, and reach your goals faster while saving precious time you can then spend doing the things you love.
But what is task management exactly? And how to choose the best task management software for your needs?
This is what we'll tackle today!
Best Task Management Systems
- For productivity boost: Motion
- For personal projects: Todoist
- For teamwork: monday.com
- For tracking and visualizing: ClickUp
- For work automation: Asana
- For kanban’s fans: Trello
What is Task Management
Task management refers to the process of breaking down overarching goals into smaller, more manageable tasks and managing them through their entire life cycle. It requires you to plan, test, track and report.
Now, there's often confusion between task and project management.
Task management focuses on managing an individual task from conception to finish. Unlike a project, a task doesn't necessarily have a goal or a specific deadline. Combined with other tasks, it simply contributes towards the execution of a project.
In fact, task management is an inherent function of project management.
Note that task management tools can be used to make task management smoother and more efficient and can help individuals achieve their goals through completing a set of work or school-related tasks or even personal tasks.
Key Features of Task Management Software
As a general rule of thumb, typical features of task management software include the following:
- Task and subtask creation
- Task scheduling allowing you to set deadlines and organize your calenda
- Task assignment and reassignment, which can include internal or external stakeholders
- Task customization to help you edit as you go based on specific situations
- Task prioritization so that you can maximize your time and never miss deadlines
- Task organization through the use of labels or tags
- Recurring tasks feature allowing you to automate repetitive tasks and steps in your workflow
- Notification to remind you about upcoming tasks and deadlines
- Report generation and tracking helping you easily analyze and monitor your progress against the overall goals
- To-do-list to help you easily visualize your tasks
- Security and access control
- Mobile capability and integration with other systems to help streamline your workflow.
Note that task management software can be free. But to unlock the tool’s full potential you might be required to pay a monthly subscription, depending on the features and number of users who need access to the tool.
Best Task Management App
There are many different task management apps available, each with its unique features and capabilities. Below we’ve listed our six best task management software.
Motion is revolution in productivity task management. It transforms your workflow, optimizing your day and ensuring that distractions never get in the way of progress. For better task management Motion uses kanban method. And its AI assistant will help you to manage your tasks even more effectively.
- Stay focused with "Focus Pocus"
- Adaptive rescheduling
- Smart task scheduling
- One-click task input
- Recurring due dates
- Custom time blocks
- Comprehensive task notes
- Free 7-day trial period
- Individual plan for $19 per month, billed annually
- Team plan for $12 per user/month, billed annually
As the name suggests, Todoiost is a to-do list app allowing users to easily create tasks and track them as they go. It's extremely easy to use and is task management software for individuals seeking help organizing their personal and professional lives.
While Todoist used to be better equipped to cater to individuals' needs, the company recently added some great features to its app, catering to small businesses needs too.
- Quick add to capture tasks within seconds
- Recurring due dates
- Sections and subtask features
- Priority levels and favorites
- Reminders and notifications
- Task delegation
- Boards, labels, and filters
- Calendar feeds.
- Beginner plan (up to 5 personal projects) for free
- Pro plan (up to 300 personal projects) for 4$ per month
- Bussiness plan (up to 500 team projects) for 4$ per month
monday.com is one of the most popular task management tools, and for good reason. It allows individuals and teams to quickly create workflow apps, adapt their tasks to changing needs, and seamlessly collaborate. The visual mind map it provides, the clean design, and easy of use are some of the features users love the most about monday.com task tracker.
- Project data visualizations & dashboards allowing users to easily track relevant KPIs and create charts and graphs
- Guided automation
- Real-time collaboration features such as chats, assigned comments, likes, and mentions
- Drag and drop timeline
- Time tracking tool
- Built-in reporting feature
- Third-party integrations with countless apps and tools
- Native mobile app
- Work, assignment, and notification automation.
- Free plan (up to 2 seats)
- Basic plan for 8$ a month per user
- Standart plan for 12$ a month per user
- Pro plan for 20$ a month per user
Note: Prices are given for billing monthly; by paying annually, you can save 18%.
ClickUp is, without a doubt, one of the task management platforms available on the market. ClickUp provides solutions for a wide range of teams: developers, designers, HRs, etc. With built-in CRM system is a great option for big teams or enterprises. And the recent ClickUp AI feature makes it even easier to generate outlines, draft documents, or summarize meeting notes.
- Task customization
- Multiple views
- Collaboration features such as assigned comments and mentions, collaboration
- Detection, proofing, whiteboards, and shared docs
- Real-time reporting
- Time tracking
- Sorting and filtering
- Integration with over 1000 tools.
- Free plan
- Unlimited plan for 10$ a month per user
- Bussiness plan for 19$ a month per user
Note: Prices are given for billing monthly; by paying annually, you can save up to 37%.
Asana is the best software for task management when it comes to managing multiple tasks and projects at the same time and tracking deadlines. Asana's user interface has been carefully designed to provide an enhanced user experience and allows for efficient task management. It also is unique by its templates with the most effective time management methods.
- Video messaging
- Task dependencies
- Private teams
- Turning emails into tasks
- Recurring tasks
- Color-code assignments
- Project status updates
- Free plan forever with unlimited features
- Premium plan for 13.49$ a month per user
- Business plan for 24.99$ a month per user
Note: Prices are given for billing monthly; by paying annually, you can save up to 20%.
Trello is a task management software well known for its simplicity and its ability to help users manage their tasks and streamline their workflow. Extremely intuitive, Trello also features automated tools to save you time and hassle.
- Users can create boards, cards, and lists to manage their tasks
- Users can create subtasks within a card
- Users can allocate tasks to several members and notify them automatically
- Deadlines can be set up for each task
- Teams can keep up with workload and deadlines through the activity log
- Built-in automation system Butler
- Integration with many apps and business tools such as Salesforce or Slack.
- Standard plan for $5 a month per user
- Premium plan (with a free trial) for $10 a month per user
- Enterprise plan costs $17.50 a month per user
Why You Should Use Task Management Software
Using task management tools can have many benefits, and we've listed some of the main ones below:
Streamline Your Workflow
An efficient task management tool brings all the tasks that need to be completed for a project together in one place. And this, in turn, allows you to streamline your workflow and maximize your efficiency because you don't need to jump from one tool to another to get things done. Besides, task management programs allow you to spot inefficiencies and repetitive tasks and fix bottlenecks.
Have you ever attended a long-winded business meeting where tasks were assigned, the next steps discussed, and completely forgot to write everything down? Or perhaps you found yourself in a situation where a project scope changed, and you had to update each team member individually?
Task management software enables you to edit tasks as you go and allows everyone to see real-time updates. And this, in turn, allows for more effective communication and is more conducive to collaboration and synergies.
Increase Your Productivity
One of the biggest benefits of using a task management app is that it prevents you from wasting time going through the information and trying to organize it every day. And this, in turn, allows you to work more efficiently, thus enhancing your productivity. Besides, using task management app makes it easy for you to keep track of your responsibilities, and deadlines, keep up with your workload and get things done.
If You Still Hesitate
Task management software is a fantastic tool to help you keep track of your workload and reach your goals without worrying about organizing your tasks every day.
These days, task management programs are a complex solution for individuals or teams. You can organize your personal life and work with just a few clicks. So go ahead and find your best task management software!